Glossy Icons !!!
Any half decent photoshop tutorial website will bound to have a glossy icon tutorial, so here i am trying to design a unique glossy icon. I came across one of a forumer's avatar and i think it look pretty cool and is unique with it's gloss effect. So here's the tutorial on achieving this glossy effect for your icon.
1. Open up a new 500px X 500px document.
2. Fill up the document's background with #9c9c9c.
3. Create a new layer and use the Elliptical Marquee Tool to draw out a circle or any size you prefer.Name it "Black".
4. Fill it up with #000000.
5. Create a new layer above. Draw out another circle with the similiar tool and fill it up with #ffffff. We name this layer "white".
6. Create another layer above "white" and Ctrl-Click the "white" layer. Fill it up with #7e7e7e.
7. Use the marquee tool to select portion of the layer and cut it away by pressing delete.
8. Change the layer's blending
9. With the layer selected, Go to Layer>Layer mask>Reveal All.
10. Using the Gradient tool, give the layer a mask from the top to roughly 2/3 of the circle.
11. Create a new layer and Ctrl-Click on the white layer again.
12. Using the Elliptical tool, select "Subtract from Selection" and Subtract away the top part of the selection.
13. Fill it up with #0f1517.
14. Change Blending Option.
15. Make the" white" layer invisible or delete it.
16. Add a shape you like.
17. Apply the Blending Option
18. Give "Black" layer a bit of nice shadows and gradient to give it a nice feel.
The effects would look even nice if you decrease the size of your image.