Transform a boring piece of wood
There are a lot of wooden-textured background and images out there but most are dull and have rather lame wood grains. Here's a tutorial to help u spruce up a piece of normal-looking wood which could then be used for many other purposes.
1. Import Wood layersA. Open up this wood layer.
B. Rename it "Background"
C. Open another wooden layer.
D. Press Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C to copy it. Return back to the Original Document and press Ctrl+V.
E. Rotate it 90 degree CW.Transform and scale it to fit half the screen.
F. Duplicate the layer and Merge both layers together.Rename the layer to "Fiber".
G. Ctrl-click on the background layer and make sure the "Fiber" layer is selected. Press Ctrl+Shift+I to inverse the selection.Press delete. This is to cut away excess "Fiber" image.
2. Give the wood texture and character
A. Add in these wood fiberDesaturate the "Fiber" layer and change the Blend mode to "Overlay".
B. Increase the fibers
- Open another new document.The new Height and width would be the opposite of the original document's height and width.My original height and width was 1180px X 2208px. So my new document has the height and width of 2208px X 1180px.
- We add in clouds.Filter > Render > Clouds.
- Then we add in Fibers. Go to Filter > Render > Fibers.
- Press Ctrl+A and den Ctrl+C to select All and copy respectively. Switch back to the original document and paste it by Ctrl+V.
- Tranform and rotate by 90 degree. Change Blend Mode to "Overlay" and reduce Opacity to 30%. Name this layer "Extra Fiber".
C. Spring the Wood to life with Colors
This is the section where you can play around with the colors to get very cool effects on the wood- Go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Color Balance
- Make sure this layer is on top of every layer.
3. Lighting effects for dramatic effects
-Holding on Ctrl, we click Background, Fiber and Extra Fiber layer and merge them together. Name the layer "Wood".
-With "Wood" layer selected, we gonna make two light source here. Go to Filter> Render > Lighting Effects
First light source:
Second light source:
4. Finished~~Original picture: